What Home Remodels Give You the Most Bang for Your Buck?
You are getting ready to update your home either for yourself or in order to sell it. Where should you concentrate your time, money, and attention? Here are the top home improvements that really maximize your dollar.
1. Declutter- Go through your home room by room and gett rid of the items that you no longer use or that cause you to want to weep (clothes from your high school years etc...). Doing this will not only make your home look and feel better, but it will make cleaning much easier if you don't have to keep deciding where to put all of these miscellanious items. Also, be aware that buyers like to check out the storage spaces in homes, so shoving extra items into closets etc... is not advisable.
2. Exterior Lighting- The cost is not big, but the impact is huge. Make sure that your lighting is up to date and that it accentuates your homes best features. The recommendation is to look at what appeals to you and then choose a similar light that is bigger. You want it to reflect the size of your home, not just the size of the wall that it is on.
3. Kitchen Cabinets- Painting or refacing your cabinets if the structure of your current cabinets is a fantastic way to update your kitchen and really get your moneys worth. Also, adding trim to the existing cabinets really adds appeal. If the structure of your cabinets is questionable, you should consider replacing them. The kitchen is the heart of most people's homes. Not only will improving your kitchen make the room more inviting, but it will also increase the value of your home.
4. Matching Kitchen Appliances- Kitchen appliances that match especially in color are something that buyers look for. One mistake that a lot of sellers make is spending their money on one really high end appliance and thinking that the buyers will see the potential to upgrade the rest of the kitchen. Most people want a kitchen that is inviting and that makes them want to start cooking in it right away.
5.Bathroom Updates- If you bath room has a tub or toilet that is not a shade of white, please consider replacing it. A tub can also be resurfaced. Colored fixtures are a sure sign that the bathroom hasn't been updated in a REALLY long time.
6.Paint- Neutrals are a great choice when you are selling your home. Dramatic colors can scare some buyers off. You can add your favorite colors to your decorations and furniture. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for a room. Painted walls are usually a safer bet than wallpaper.
7. Floors- A lot of people decide on one home over another by what the floors are like. If you have carpet that has seen better days, it is time to make a change. If you have hardwood floors under the undesirable carpet, refinishing them is a good idea. However, use caution if you do not already have hardwood floors. Installing them can be very costly. Put in a laminate floor is somewhat risky because it may appeal to some buyers while completely putting off others. Another option is to change the carpet. Carpet remnants can be used in smaller rooms.
We have a lot of experience working with buyers and several of our realtors are experts at remodeling. If you have any question, please feel free to leave a comment or to email us and we will be happy to assist you.