Spooky, but true… Don’t let the bedbugs bite!
Do you have plans to travel this upcoming holiday season? Bedbugs are not just a bedtime rhyme, they're a real life problem. These nasty critters can cause welts and rashes.
Once you've brought home these stowaways, the cost to mitigate them can be huge. We may imagine them as dwelling only in a seedy motel, but they make themselves comfortable where they can find a fresh supply of blood, no matter how clean the surrounding area may be.
How can we avoid them?
- Know how to identify a bedbug. They are ⅕ of an inch long and have flat oval shaped body. They vary in color from a light tan to a burnt orange or deep reddish brown.
- Identify areas where they like to live. They are attracted to warmth and tend to congregate in bed frames, mattresses, and box springs. But they'll also hide in and around electronics and electrical outlets.
- Check the room before unpacking. Pull back the sheets and check near the crease between box springs and mattress for blood spots and bugs.
- Don't put your suitcase on the bed until you've thoroughly checked the room. Use the suitcase holder if provided.
- Inspect your luggage and clothing before you return home in case you missed any signs of an infestation during your stay.
By following these steps while you travel this holiday season, you can save yourself the pain and discomfort of a bedbug invasion of your home.